Avocado – A Power Fruit
Die Avocado ist eine der gesündesten Früchte unseres Planeten:
….und darum sollten wir sie sooft es geht in unseren Speiseplan einbauen:
- Einfach aufschneiden und auslöffeln
- Auf einer Scheibe Brot als Aufstrich verwenden
- In Salaten, Suppen und Pestos verwenden
- Guacamole Rezept ausprobieren (siehe unten)
Avocado is one of the healthiest fruits on the planet.
- It is full of good fatty acids (mostly monounsaturated – also called MUFA) and contains a lot of Vitamin C and E, folate and a high amount of potassium. The energy/calories content of an average Avocado is quite high around 300 kcal (100 g fruit/ 220 kcal), due to the high amount of fat (25-30%) in the fruit. It has been shown in studies that the MUFAs of the Avocado are able to lower bad cholesterol (LDL – low density lipoproteins) and to raise good cholesterol (HDL- high density lipoproteins).
- The taste of the creamy yellow – green fruit pulp is simply great. Although you might not think so, Avocado (the botanical name is Persea americana Mill.) is actually a berry fruit and not a vegetable. The Mexicans may forgive this botanical name of “American peach”, because they are the ones, that cultivated and used this fruit since more than 9000 years. The first Avocados came to Europe in 1650, but it needed until the 20th Century, that they were well accepted.
- Avocados in Europe are imported from Israel and California and they are available almost all over the year. Avocados are not a cheap fruit in Europe, but give them a try and a special place in your daily or weekly menu.
So, enjoy Avocados (…and do a physical activity, too!)
- Slice it on a salad,
- Spread it on a sandwich instead of butter,
- Get a spoon and dig it!
Please don’t cook avocados, they may get a bitter taste. To avoid, that Avocados become quickly brown after peeling, put some lemon juice on it.
And here is a classic recipe of Guacamole for you:
3 avocados (halved, seeded and peeled), 1 citron, juiced, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1/2 medium onion, diced, 2 tomatoes, diced, 1 clove garlic, minced
Put the scooped avocado pulp in a large bowl and sprankle with citron juice, salt, cumin and cayenne. Mash them with a potato masher. Then add the diced onions, tomatoes and the minced garlic.